[Software] KDE backup - how does it work?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
urdrwho10

[Software] KDE backup - how does it work?

#1 Post by urdrwho10 »

On Deb 12 KDE there is a back-up app. I set it up but I'll be darn if I can get it to run. I could install Timesync that I used forever on Mint but it would be nice to use the one I see now.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Software] KDE backup - how does it work?

#2 Post by sunrat »

I use the KDE backup and it works well. It's basically a frontend for rsync. Impossible to say why it's not working for you without details of how you set it up.
There's a basic guide at - https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... -on-linux/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

juribel

#3 Post by juribel »

In my opinion, using rsync or one of its derivates is probably the best for backing up. Be sure to keep your hands off tools like Borg or DejaDup. With these, you always need the complete chain of unbroken backups from the initial backup on, and, equally bad, you probably need the exact version of the backup tool for a restore. Both is no-go. It is essencial to have access to your backuped data without any barriers, that is by being able to access or restore with your file manager or command line. Especially, don't use any backup tools that break your big files into pieces in order to save time or disk space and come with the need of their special restore program to reassemble your files. If you need encryption, you better use an appropriate file system rather than encrypting your files individually.

urdrwho10

#4 Post by urdrwho10 »

I went with DejaDup yesterday. That apps been around a long time.
juribel wrote: 2024-09-19 09:34 In my opinion, using rsync or one of its derivates is probably the best for backing up. Be sure to keep your hands off tools like Borg or DejaDup. With these, you always need the complete chain of unbroken backups from the initial backup on, and, equally bad, you probably need the exact version of the backup tool for a restore. Both is no-go. It is essencial to have access to your backuped data without any barriers, that is by being able to access or restore with your file manager or command line. Especially, don't use any backup tools that break your big files into pieces in order to save time or disk space and come with the need of their special restore program to reassemble your files. If you need encryption, you better use an appropriate file system rather than encrypting your files individually.

urdrwho10

#5 Post by urdrwho10 »

The app was already installed. The only thing to set-up (that I saw) was which files, how often/when and location to save files. Seems simple but it just didn't work. I was doing a re-install and now that I have a fresh system, I'll try it again.
sunrat wrote: 2024-09-18 22:57 I use the KDE backup and it works well. It's basically a frontend for rsync. Impossible to say why it's not working for you without details of how you set it up.
There's a basic guide at - https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... -on-linux/

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by NFT5 »

urdrwho10 wrote: 2024-09-18 18:52 On Deb 12 KDE there is a back-up app. I set it up but I'll be darn if I can get it to run.
I had the same issue for a long time, so used BackInTime instead. When I did manage to get the KDE Backups working I found it was very basic. Suitable for only the simplest of applications it can't do things like exclude certain file types or names. It also just continually adds to your backup archive which then just grows almost uncontrollably. BIT can be configured to backup at whatever schedule you like, then delete and consolidate so you just have one per week or on per month as you like, saving space in your backup media. I have about 20TB in backups and recently had to add two more 8TB drives to give some space for the future. If I used KDE Backups my study would transform into a server farm. :shock:

Haven't used Timesync - I don't believe it's in the Debian repos, and a quick Google search failed to find it at all. :? Anyway, agree with @juribel - rsync based programs are better/safer/easier. Just choose the front end that you like and can access the rsync features that you want.