[Software] I need iTunes on Bookworm, but how?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Augie77

[Software] I need iTunes on Bookworm, but how?

#1 Post by Augie77 »

Obviously, I am a basic user of Linux and as I am soon to be the owner of a new iPad Pro M4 I need to get iTunes on my Bookworm 12.5.
I see there is a how-to for wine at Wine How To Install on this site. Before I plunge headlong into something I do not understand, is the linked procedure still valid and, are there any other suggestions from the members here?

Once Wine is installed, I understand I will need to download a windows version of iTunes from Apple and proceed from there. I mostly need iTunes for IOS updates and data backups, could care less about the music catalogue side of it.

Thanks

amin11

Re: [Software] I need iTunes on Bookworm, but how?

#2 Post by amin11 »

The best suggestion is not to use Apple products and Apple servers.
There are thousands of reasons not to use Apple products.
Last edited by amin11 on 2024-06-06 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Aki »

Augie77 wrote: 2024-06-05 17:26 Obviously, I am a basic user of Linux and as I am soon to be the owner of a new iPad Pro M4 I need to get iTunes on my Bookworm 12.5.
I see there is a how-to for wine at Wine How To Install on this site. Before I plunge headlong into something I do not understand, is the linked procedure still valid and, are there any other suggestions from the members here?

Once Wine is installed, I understand I will need to download a windows version of iTunes from Apple and proceed from there. I mostly need iTunes for IOS updates and data backups, could care less about the music catalogue side of it.

Thanks
It probably won’t work. You’d better install iTunes in a supported operating system using a Virtual Machine.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by cds60601 »

Or pickup a used Apple pro from ebay
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Augie77

#5 Post by Augie77 »

Aki wrote: 2024-06-06 19:47
Augie77 wrote: 2024-06-05 17:26 Obviously, I am a basic user of Linux and as I am soon to be the owner of a new iPad Pro M4 I need to get iTunes on my Bookworm 12.5.

Thanks
It probably won’t work. You’d better install iTunes in a supported operating system using a Virtual Machine.
I booted my old Win 7 box today and it was a no go as iTunes would not update to a high enough version for the later Ipad OS versions. What does it take to do the Virtual Machine? I actually like the virtual machine idea better than Wine.

Uptorn

#6 Post by Uptorn »

amin11 wrote: 2024-06-06 15:43 The best suggestion is not to use Apple products and Apple servers.
There are thousands of reasons not to use Apple products.
I didn't want to be that guy since the answer, while correct, is unproductive to what the OP wants to hear.

I normally just avoid touching such a thread. But now that the discussion has already been raised...

The path of least resistance is always to leave the grips of an abuser. Continuing to try to work around proprietary restrictions is only serving to prolong your captivity in the arms of an abuser.

Seriously consider constructing a music library outside of the artificial confines of Apple's digital plantation.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#7 Post by donald »

Lock requested.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank