Your installation media couldn't be mounted

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
fpaynter

Your installation media couldn't be mounted

#1 Post by fpaynter »

Trying to install 12.4 on Dell Precision M6700 laptop with CD/DVR R/W using bootable USB created from debian-12.4.0-amd64-netinst.iso via rufus-4.4.exe

Creation of bootable USB apparently proceeded successfully

Laptop boots to CD properly, but after choosing 'Graphical Install' on first screen, I got a number of errors like

"[ 21.1003897 COMSET Failure...']

but then the language, location, and keyboard type screens were displayed, followed by the 'Detect and mount installation media' screen. On this screen I got the error "Your installation media couldn't be mounted...."

From another post on this issue I found a hint to use Ctrl-ALT-F2 to get into bash shell, and this worked. However, I have no idea how to manually mount the ISO (assuming that's what I should be doing).

Note that this laptop does contain a CD/DVD R/W module - could that be confusing the installer?

TIA,

Frank

bbbhltz
XMMP/Jabber: bbbhltz@mailbox.org

Re: Your installation media couldn't be mounted

#2 Post by bbbhltz »

If I were to encounter this type of error, I would recreate the bootable USB after fully formatting it. I usually use dd from the command line

The Wiki suggests Rufus using "DD" mode https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstall#C ... Flashdrive

Another suggestion is here https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 03.en.html
bbbhltz
longtime desktop Linux user; eternal newbie

lewulff
LinkedIN: www.linkedin.com/in/

#3 Post by lewulff »

Quick question, is there an existing Operating System on this laptop? And if so, do you want to keep it (aka dual boot)?

If not, and you intend to wipe the drive completely, then I would suggest;
  • Enter BIOS and reset to Default settings, then temporarily bump USB to top of boot list
  • Boot from live distro (does not matter which one) and re-partition/reformat your drive
  • Then try installing Debian 12
  • Don't forget to remove USB from the BIOS boot list when done
I have seen similar errors (COMSET Failure) before caused by a corrupted partition on a storage drive.
Lee Wulff

fpaynter

#4 Post by fpaynter »

Thanks for the inputs.

1. There is an existing system - Ubuntu 12.4 LTS, but I do not wish to dual-boot
2. Using my Ubuntu install I created the bootable Debian install USB with 'cp /home/frank/Downloads/debian-12.4.0-amd64-netiinst.iso /dev/sdb' and this got me past the 'Your installation media could not be mounted' error - yay

TIA,

Frank

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Good you sorted it. I too have had an issue with Rufus, maybe only once though as it usually works OK. cp has never failed me.
Always use sync after the cp command to make sure the cache has been flushed and writing properly completed. Or just leave it for a few minutes.

Code: Select all

cp debian.iso /dev/sdX ; sync
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!