[Software] How do I backup samsung phone

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
urdrwho10

[Software] How do I backup samsung phone

#1 Post by urdrwho10 »

I have the program on Windows to backup my phone to the PC. How do I do the same thing using Debian 12 ? I went to the Samsung site and they only support Windows and Mac.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Software] How do I backup samsung phone

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

You can transfer pictures and files via a usb connection or WiFi network. Phone settings can probably be backed up in the Samsung cloud can't they?

There seem to be projects to back up Android phones, like this one. I don't know how well they work.

https://github.com/mrrfv/open-android-backup

If you want the vendor specific program, you will have to use one of the platforms they support.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by NFT5 »

Do you want to back up just data (files, pictures, passwords etc.) or do you want to back up the whole operating system?

If just data then using Google is by far the most popular method from an Android phone. It's been a few phones since I had an overpriced Samsung but I seem to recall that Samsung had some app, pre-installed on the phone, that would also do backups, maybe to their cloud.

As well as Google, these days I use KDE Connect for manual file access to my phone via usb or wifi. I also use Syncthing to create mirrors, on the PC, of specific folders on the phone. I haven't tried, but I'd imagine that if you can mount the phone on the PC then various backup applications could also perform your backups.

urdrwho10

#4 Post by urdrwho10 »

Backs up everything from Texts to Contacts and everything else. It is a two way sync so whenever I buy new phones, all I have to do is sync the new phone. Copying by tethered USB is not a sync. I can do backups of text and phone calls (SMS stuff) to Google. As for over priced, I pay under $200 for my phones and I don't know how you could get much cheaper. My last Samsung was a tank. I dropped that thing so many times I can't count. Still have it and it still works, just too old of an OS.
NFT5 wrote: 2024-09-12 21:28 Do you want to back up just data (files, pictures, passwords etc.) or do you want to back up the whole operating system?

If just data then using Google is by far the most popular method from an Android phone. It's been a few phones since I had an overpriced Samsung but I seem to recall that Samsung had some app, pre-installed on the phone, that would also do backups, maybe to their cloud.

As well as Google, these days I use KDE Connect for manual file access to my phone via usb or wifi. I also use Syncthing to create mirrors, on the PC, of specific folders on the phone. I haven't tried, but I'd imagine that if you can mount the phone on the PC then various backup applications could also perform your backups.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#5 Post by NFT5 »

urdrwho10 wrote: 2024-09-12 22:36 I pay under $200 for my phones
.....and I thought that I had low specification requirements for a phone. A few months ago I bought a Google Pixel 7 which cost me near enough to $1K. Equivalent Samsung was more than double that price.

Despite the possible security issues I've never actually heard of anyone losing information via Google. The plus is that it will reinstall all of your apps as well as texts, contacts, photos etc. Even texts and photos sent on secure apps like WhatsApp. For immediate synchronisation I use Syncthing. If I use my phone to take photos and then walk inside to prepare a quote the photos are on the PC before I sit down. With KDE Connect I can perform most phone functions from the desktop - make calls, receive & send messages etc.

urdrwho10

#6 Post by urdrwho10 »

Well I make a call from my phone every few days. I'm 71 years old, almost 72, retired and never was a big phone user. I grew up in the days that if you were out and wanted to make a call, you found a phone booth and I survived quite well. ;) So why the heck would I spend $1,000 on a phone. My IT employed son is the one that pays those prices.

Thanks. I'll check into the Google back-up.
NFT5 wrote: 2024-09-13 04:04
urdrwho10 wrote: 2024-09-12 22:36 I pay under $200 for my phones
.....and I thought that I had low specification requirements for a phone. A few months ago I bought a Google Pixel 7 which cost me near enough to $1K. Equivalent Samsung was more than double that price.

Despite the possible security issues I've never actually heard of anyone losing information via Google. The plus is that it will reinstall all of your apps as well as texts, contacts, photos etc. Even texts and photos sent on secure apps like WhatsApp. For immediate synchronisation I use Syncthing. If I use my phone to take photos and then walk inside to prepare a quote the photos are on the PC before I sit down. With KDE Connect I can perform most phone functions from the desktop - make calls, receive & send messages etc.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Got an At&T Galaxy A14 5G for $18 US at Wally Mart in February as long as the monthy prepaid plan was >= $40. 15 GiB high-speed data with the $40 plan, unused data rolls over. I can't complain.
MX Linux packager and developer