Debian Live Image (MATE) has KDE settings on it ... ?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Omnimaxus

Debian Live Image (MATE) has KDE settings on it ... ?

#1 Post by Omnimaxus »

Hello to everyone. I am exploring using Debian Bookworm as my daily driver. I love MATE. However, I am confused. I recently downloaded the live image with MATE preinstalled (debian-live-12.7.0-amd64-mate.iso). When I set about exploring the live environment, I saw "KDE Settings" under "Look and Feel." I clicked on it, and it showed an almost-blank screen for Plasma settings. I am including two pictures here. Is this normal? The non-live image I downloaded before (debian-12.7.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso) did not have this issue. What happens if I use this live image to install Debian? Will the KDE settings still show up? (Speaking of which, isn't MATE-Tweak supposed to be there instead of KDE Settings?) Is this a packaging mistake on Debian's part? Someone please advise. Although I have been distrohopping, I've been using Linux Mint and Zorin mostly for over 6 months, but feel like I'm ready to move on to something more closer to the CLI, and I'd like to switch over to Debian Bookworm. So to see this kind of thing gives me a bit of pause, and I just want a clean experience here. (And I hope I'm posting in the correct subforum.) Thanks very much.

(The photos I uploaded have a 30-day limit; hope someone can help before then.)

Omnimaxus

Re: Debian Live Image (MATE) has KDE settings on it ... ?

#2 Post by Omnimaxus »

Follow-up:

I have been looking into this a bit more. It seems like this isn't supposed to be there. Yet it is.

The pictures don't lie. Why put KDE stuff in a MATE live image? So ... yeah. What now?

Will Debian pull the MATE image, and fix it accordingly? Or is the KDE stuff meant to be there?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

I just downloaded the package list for MATE live image - https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... o.packages . Indeed it contains the package systemsettings which is the KDE package, so it seems like an error.
I don't use MATE or live images so someone more familiar will have to chime in for more advice.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Omnimaxus

#4 Post by Omnimaxus »

Thanks for checking and replying, @sunrat. I have already emailed the Debian CD team. I hope they fix this as soon as possible. It seems to be a glaring error; one that needs to be taken care of right away or soon in the future.

Omnimaxus

#5 Post by Omnimaxus »

Follow-up: Anyone? Please help. Thanks.

juribel

#6 Post by juribel »

I am running Bookworm with Xfce, installed from the Live ISO in German. Here, "KDE Systemeinstellungen" with Plasma settings is also present. I have installed several programs that use QT. Maybe the KDE settings come from these installations.

In a Virtual Machine, I have Bookworm with Xfce without any additional installations, and there are no KDE settings.

bbbhltz
XMMP/Jabber: bbbhltz@mailbox.org

#7 Post by bbbhltz »

There is a dependency for it somewhere. I know there is a way to do this and see why a package is installed and see the chain of dependencies, but my apt-foo is weak...

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt install live-task-mate --simulate | grep systemsettings

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

squashfs-tools swath swath-data systemsettings t1-cyrillic t1-teams
Inst systemsettings (4:5.27.5-2 Debian:12.7/stable [amd64])
Conf systemsettings (4:5.27.5-2 Debian:12.7/stable [amd64])
bbbhltz
longtime desktop Linux user; eternal newbie

Omnimaxus

#8 Post by Omnimaxus »

juribel wrote: 2024-09-07 10:05 I am running Bookworm with Xfce, installed from the Live ISO in German. Here, "KDE Systemeinstellungen" with Plasma settings is also present. I have installed several programs that use QT. Maybe the KDE settings come from these installations.

In a Virtual Machine, I have Bookworm with Xfce without any additional installations, and there are no KDE settings.
Very interesting. I will try installing Debian MATE in a virtual machine, and see what happens to the KDE settings.

I don't understand, though. Why put KDE settings in a MATE install ISO? Doesn't make sense. Anyway, thanks.

Omnimaxus

#9 Post by Omnimaxus »

bbbhltz wrote: 2024-09-07 10:51 There is a dependency for it somewhere. I know there is a way to do this and see why a package is installed and see the chain of dependencies, but my apt-foo is weak...

$ sudo apt install live-task-mate --simulate | grep systemsettings

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

Inst systemsettings (4:5.27.5-2 Debian:12.7/stable [amd64])
Conf systemsettings (4:5.27.5-2 Debian:12.7/stable [amd64])
Thank you for replying. Appreciate it.

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#10 Post by fabien »

bbbhltz wrote: 2024-09-07 10:51 There is a dependency for it somewhere. I know there is a way to do this and see why a package is installed and see the chain of dependencies, but my apt-foo is weak...
live-task-mate Recommends calamares-settings-debian
calamares-settings-debian Depends calamares
calamares Depends libkf5parts5
libkf5parts5 Depends kio
kio Recommends systemsettings

This chain of dependencies was not the easiest to find.
ImageShare your Debian SCRIPTS
There will be neither barrier nor walls, neither official nor guard, there will be no more desert and the entire world will become a garden. — Anacharsis Cloots

bbbhltz

#11 Post by bbbhltz »

fabien wrote: 2024-09-07 16:08
live-task-mate Recommends calamares-settings-debian
calamares-settings-debian Depends calamares
calamares Depends libkf5parts5
libkf5parts5 Depends kio
kio Recommends systemsettings

This chain of dependencies was not the easiest to find.
Did you work this out by hand, or use debtree, apt-rdepends, or something like that?
bbbhltz

Omnimaxus

#12 Post by Omnimaxus »

Update:

Installed the live image on VirtualBox. Did see that the KDE settings thing did, in fact, disappear post-install. Have been pleasantly surprised with MATE on Debian Bookworm. Excellent. More stable and less buggy than MATE is on Linux Mint and Ubuntu. I just wish someone from the Debian team would jump in here and explain about the inclusion of KDE in a MATE image. I will continue experimenting and playing with MATE on Debian before deciding on what to do, but at this time, it's looking rather good. I like MATE; its functionality and the UI makes sense. If I go ahead and permanently install Debian on my main PC, I'll likely have more questions for folks on this forum (in the "beginners" subforum). Cheers.

bbbhltz

#13 Post by bbbhltz »

The KDE stuff is required for Calamares, which is the graphic installer.
Calamares is a C++ program. It uses the Qt libraries. It may use KDE Frameworks libraries. You will need those installed on your development system in order to work on Calamares.
https://github.com/calamares/calamares/ ... uide#build

So, not Debian but Calamares is the culprit.
bbbhltz

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#14 Post by fabien »

bbbhltz wrote: 2024-09-07 16:41 Did you work this out by hand, or use debtree, apt-rdepends, or something like that?
There are indeed many possible ways, the tools chosen may depend on personal preferences but also on the complexity of the problem. debtree is probably a good choice. I know it but I don't use it because I find it difficult to read.

I first used my script why-pkg -Y systemsettings to check reverse dependencies but nothing immediately obvious was shown. It would be possible to backtrack through each reverse dependency but it would take time.

I then used why-pkg -r live-task-mate to check that systemsettings was a dependency (the script is well tested but it's still a good opportunity for me to check its accuracy). The dependency was confirmed but this option does not show dependency links, so I used why-pkg -p live-task-mate which is just a colorized output of apt-rdepends. Here again the result was not obvious enough.

So I uncommented DEBUGMODE="true" in why-pkg and ran why-pkg -nr live-task-mate again and found the dependency links.

Since you asked, I checked a more orthodox method:

$> apt-get -o Debug::pkgDepCache::AutoInstall=1 -sV install live-task-mate
[...]
  Installing calamares-settings-debian:amd64 as Recommends of live-task-mate:amd64
    Installing calamares:amd64 as Depends of calamares-settings-debian:amd64
[...]
     Installing libkf5parts5:amd64 as Depends of calamares:amd64
[...]
        Installing kio:amd64 as Depends of libkf5parts5:amd64
[...]
          Installing systemsettings:amd64 as Recommends of kio:amd64
man 5 apt.conf for apt-get debug options.
ImageShare your Debian SCRIPTS
There will be neither barrier nor walls, neither official nor guard, there will be no more desert and the entire world will become a garden. — Anacharsis Cloots

juribel

#15 Post by juribel »

I personally cannot see any problem at all with having some libraries or settings tools on my computer that I don't really need or use. So what! Might perhaps only be a problem if one's storage capacity is extremely limited, but in that case one would surely have other problems as well. In Germany we say "Frisst ja kein Brot" -- oh well, it doesn't eat away my bread :-)