[O/S] Why doesn't Debian offer preinstalled desktop environments?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Omnimaxus

[O/S] Why doesn't Debian offer preinstalled desktop environments?

#1 Post by Omnimaxus »

Curious - why doesn't Debian offer preinstalled desktop environments to choose from, even in "complete" installation ISOs? Why do users have to pick one, then download it? I don't get it. Why not just offer at least one at installation? What if someone is offline? Would be nice to have a small list of preinstalled desktop environments to choose from at installation (e.g., GNOME, MATE). Now I'm curious as to the Debian team's rationale behind this approach. Thanks.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [O/S] Why doesn't Debian offer preinstalled desktop environments?

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,

I'm just a regular user.
Omnimaxus wrote: 2024-09-01 14:14 Curious - why doesn't Debian offer preinstalled desktop environments to choose from, even in "complete" installation ISOs?
[..]
Why not just offer at least one at installation? What if someone is offline? Would be nice to have a small list of preinstalled desktop environments to choose from at installation (e.g., GNOME, MATE). Now I'm curious as to the Debian team's rationale behind this approach.
The Debian site have a link to some resources:
Omnimaxus wrote: 2024-09-01 14:14 Why do users have to pick one, then download it? I don't get it.
For example:
  • you can choose the type of ISO image according to your hardware and purposes
  • you don't waste a hardware media if you don't use it.
  • you can get the latest version whenever you want
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

juribel

#3 Post by juribel »

I think you're missing something. The Debian installation ISO that comes with the "Debian installer" includes a couple of desktop environments which you can choose from, and there are many Debian live ISOs, each containining the "Calamares" installer and just one of the many desktop environments that Debian offers out of the box. So, what's the problem?

Diesel330

#4 Post by Diesel330 »

juribel wrote: 2024-09-01 18:56 I think you're missing something. The Debian installation ISO that comes with the "Debian installer" includes a couple of desktop environments which you can choose from, and there are many Debian live ISOs, each containining the "Calamares" installer and just one of the many desktop environments that Debian offers out of the box. So, what's the problem?
This is how I remember it back when I was installing Debian 11, The OP frightened me for a moment that things have changed but they probably missing something

craigevil

#5 Post by craigevil »

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

The full installer images contain a choice of desktop environments, and can be installed offline -
https://cdimage.debian.org/images/release/12.7.0/amd64/
Choose the one in iso-dvd directory, or preferably to download via BitTorrent the torrent file in bt-dvd directory which saves load on the Debian servers.
You choose DE at the tasksel stage of installation. If you leave default, you get GNOME. :( :lol: If you want another DE, deselect "Desktop Environment" and "GNOME" and select your preferred DE.
(Actually that's something that really bugs me - if you deselect "GNOME" but leave "Desktop Environment" you still get GNOME. :shock: :? There should only be one option for GNOME.)

The only images that do not contain a DE are the netinstall images in the iso-cd directory because full DEs won't fit on a CD sized image. These are designed to be used when online.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Omnimaxus

#7 Post by Omnimaxus »

Thank you to everyone, especially @sunrat for clarifying things. Thank you again.