[Testing - Trixie] SOLVED - [Testing - Trixie] Basic Commands Not Found! (They were there)

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
limotux

[Testing - Trixie] SOLVED - [Testing - Trixie] Basic Commands Not Found! (They were there)

#1 Post by limotux »

Sorry... some typos in the bash script!
So I deleted the content of this post.
Last edited by limotux on 2024-08-21 10:49, edited 4 times in total.
Debian (Testing), KDE, (Defaults), quad core Intel Core i7-8550U
Drives: 238.47 GiB SSD
Memory: 7690.7 MiB
(Installed 24/8/2023) (No Techie)

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Testing - Trixie] Basic Commands Not Found! (They were there)

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

It's the escaped (\) 'space#' that is the 'not found' command.
BTW that script is a spectacularly bad idea on testing.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

limotux

#3 Post by limotux »

dilberts_left_nut wrote: 2024-08-21 10:14 It's the escaped (\) 'space#' that is the 'not found' command.
BTW that script is a spectacularly bad idea on testing.
Why is it a bad idea in Testing? It just updates/upgrades everything (I think)
Maybe I should remove the "full upgrade" part?

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by wizard10000 »

limotux wrote: 2024-08-21 10:47Maybe I should remove the "full upgrade" part?
At the very least.

You removed the script from your post so it'd unlikely anybody can help troubleshoot further.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

limotux

#5 Post by limotux »

wizard10000 wrote: 2024-08-21 11:16
limotux wrote: 2024-08-21 10:47Maybe I should remove the "full upgrade" part?
At the very least.

You removed the script from your post so it'd unlikely anybody can help troubleshoot further.
Sorry, I just didn't want to bother you.
Anyway, just for the sake of learning more, here is my script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get clean && \
sudo apt update && \
sudo apt-get install -f && \
sudo apt full-upgrade -y && \
sudo apt autoremove --purge -y && \
sudo apt-get check && \
sudo apt-get autoclean

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Testing - Trixie] SOLVED - [Testing - Trixie] Basic Commands Not Found! (They were there)

#6 Post by wizard10000 »

Coolness. Lets step through the script - I don't mean to sound harsh so please take my input as intended :)

#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get clean && \
sudo apt update && \
sudo apt-get check && \
sudo apt-get autoclean
apt-get clean clears your package cache, which means that if you need to reinstall the package will need to be re-downloaded if it's available. If a new package breaks something you'll have to jump through hoops to get hands on an old package. If you want to clear your package cache the autoclean in the last line is a much better idea since it will only remove packages that are no longer available in repositories. If you decide to keep apt-get clean than autoclean is unnecessary.

apt update is good.

apt-get install -f is generally unnecessary and IMO should be run if you detect an issue, not as a default.

apt full-upgrade -y and apt autoremove --purge -y - never, ever automate adding or removing packages in a development distribution so the -y on upgrade and autoremove is kind of a terrible idea because you need to be able to read apt's output and stop it if it offers to remove half your system.

Also, only run full-upgrade when you're there to monitor stuff as unlike apt upgrade, apt full-upgrade will remove packages which is particularly dangerous if you're using -y because you're running a development distribution and not everything is gonna work correctly every time. You'd be sitting there watching while Trixie breaks your stuff :)

apt-get check is unnecessary if you're doing upgrades as apt will check that stuff anyway.

apt autoclean we already mentioned - it's a better solution for most than apt clean.

Last, rather than adding seven sudos to your script why not just run the script as root and lose all the sudos? :)

I hope this helps and again, not trying to sound harsh here.

cheers -
-- anais nin

limotux

Re: [Testing - Trixie] SOLVED - [Testing - Trixie] Basic Commands Not Found! (They were there)

#7 Post by limotux »

wizard10000 wrote: 2024-08-21 11:45 Coolness. Lets step through the script - I don't mean to sound harsh so please take my input as intended :)

#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get clean && \
sudo apt update && \
sudo apt-get check && \
sudo apt-get autoclean
apt-get clean clears your package cache, which means that if you need to reinstall the package will need to be re-downloaded if it's available. If a new package breaks something you'll have to jump through hoops to get hands on an old package. If you want to clear your package cache the autoclean in the last line is a much better idea since it will only remove packages that are no longer available in repositories. If you decide to keep apt-get clean than autoclean is unnecessary.

apt update is good.

apt-get install -f is generally unnecessary and IMO should be run if you detect an issue, not as a default.

apt full-upgrade -y and apt autoremove --purge -y - never, ever automate adding or removing packages in a development distribution so the -y on upgrade and autoremove is kind of a terrible idea because you need to be able to read apt's output and stop it if it offers to remove half your system.

Also, only run full-upgrade when you're there to monitor stuff as unlike apt upgrade, apt full-upgrade will remove packages which is particularly dangerous if you're using -y because you're running a development distribution and not everything is gonna work correctly every time. You'd be sitting there watching while Trixie breaks your stuff :)

apt-get check is unnecessary if you're doing upgrades as apt will check that stuff anyway.

apt autoclean we already mentioned - it's a better solution for most than apt clean.

Last, rather than adding seven sudos to your script why not just run the script as root and lose all the sudos? :)

I hope this helps and again, not trying to sound harsh here.

cheers -
Really thank you very much @wizard10000 for your amazing clarification.
Thank you very much.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by wizard10000 »

Glad to help. We were all new at this once and quite a few really patient people helped me :)
-- anais nin